Monday, October 25, 2004

Core

Geico makes some really good commercials. I just saw one for the "Tiny House" reality show. It was hilarious.


Now it's time for a new segment called "Wolf Explains:"

This comes out of the observations that I have made, which lead me to believe that the world sometimes needs Da Wolfman to explain what is going on.

Wolf Explains: "Core"

Old School Hardcore - Started arguably in the very early 1980s with bands such as Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Sick of it All, and Rollins Band. There was a desire to be harder than the punk bands of the day.

New School Hardcore - Started arguably in the 1990s with bands such as Shai Hulud and Strongarm. Made hardcore more than just repeated powerchords and doublebass.

Hip-Hop Core - Candiria. The first was Bad Brains with their reggae influenced hardcore. I think Body Count could go here as it is headed by a rapper.

Mathcore - Some people consider Norma Jean mathcore. I don't like mathcore, so neither should you.

Godcore/Christcore/JCXHC (Jesus Christ X Hardcore) - Ummm well, if you can't tell, this is hardcore with a heavy Christian message. This goes beyond "Christians in a band" and goes into "Bands in Christ." Strongarm, Zao, Officer Negative, Focal Point, etc. Can be annoying, can be amazing. A band like Strongarm has influenced hardcore in a very positive way.

Earth's core - Center of the Earth.

Crap core - Limp Bizkit and Korn. Stay away, stay far away,

Pop core - Story of the Year. Stay away, stay far away.

Metalcore - As I Lay Dying, Avenged Sevenfold, some people say Shai Hulud and Strongarm, but those people are idiots. Zao and Killswitch Engage would also fall into this category. Typically metal music with hardcore vocals (metal and hardcore sort od came out of each other, so this is a natural pairing)

Softcore/Indiecore - Longdrive (wink, wink) and the Hurt Process. Indie with yelling/screaming and break downs.

Softcore/Screamo (Emo core) - Hawthorne Heights, old Piebald. Emo with yelling/screaming and break downs.

Softcore/Rockcore - Beloved, Emery, etc. Good stuff. Rock with yelling/screamig and break downs.

Punk core - New Stretch Arm Strong is very Punk with a core edge. Punk with yelling/screaming and break downs.

Skacore - Mighty, Mighty Bosstones. Ska and hardcore.

Humor core - Sam Kinison.

So for anyone who ever wanted to know a little bit about "core," there ya go!



Random:

The only reason I wrote that out was because I was thinking it on the way to school today and wanted to write it down. Also, I wanted to introduce the whole "Wolf Explains:" idea.

2 Comments:

At October 27, 2004 at 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is wrong with christian, music. Its so soothing to the soul. Are you saying you cant listen to christian music? If you listen to the words, they are giving good messages that can help you out in any situation in life. There is all kinds of christian music, from rap to hardcore. Its all good, dont be a hater on religion... asshole what is your deal

 
At November 1, 2004 at 5:47 PM, Blogger Wolfman said...

Ummm? Not sure if that was a joke or what? Obviously this person doesn't know me or does know me and is trying to trick me. I hate this whole "anonymous" poster option.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home